• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Re: Band Gripes

#233437 1 year, 8 months ago
you've never sat behind the taper section?...that sea of mic stands and lights from their gear is any different than people with phones? i mean as long as someone doesn't talk over the music, or literally shove the phone in my face, it makes no difference to me...i'm there to listen, and what anyone else does has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment...it's not like we're in my living room and i can impose my will on everyone there...

if someone sending a setlist or taking a picture with thier phone bothers you that much maybe concerts are just not your scene
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by spring mountain high.
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#233438 1 year, 8 months ago
If there were just a few, I wouldn't mind. Its seems like theres a whole lot more lately.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#233440 1 year, 8 months ago
i agree, but someone else fiddling the entire show away has no bearing on my ability to appreciate the music at hand...like i said, i'm there to listen...so as long as they stfu, i'm good
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#233443 1 year, 8 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
you've never sat behind the taper section?...that sea of mic stands and lights from their gear is any different than people with phones? i mean as long as someone doesn't talk over the music, or literally shove the phone in my face, it makes no difference to me...i'm there to listen, and what anyone else does has no impact whatsoever on my enjoyment...it's not like we're in my living room and i can impose my will on everyone there...

if someone sending a setlist or taking a picture with thier phone bothers you that much maybe concerts are just not your scene
You got it. They have a section. It didn't take long for the GD to realize if you don't assign them an area, everyone in the building is going to be staring through a sea of microphone stands. It IS distracting. It IS inconsiderate. It IS a nuisance. So they gave them their own playground to at least minimize their immediate impact on everyone else AND the show.

And I disagree. When you are in public, you have a social responsibility to act certain ways. We can wait for laws and regulations to be set in stone, which is what seems to be necessary today, or we can acknowledge [on our own] that we have a responsibility to each other, and with the situation, the responsibilities morph. We can police ourselves. The phone is a multifaceted tool, and with tools, even more responsibility is involved. The people standing with the phone in the air or rambling on it are imposing their will on me and everyone around them. I'm not imposing anything on them to point out their responsibility is to shut the fuck up and to put the phone away.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, DancinBear
DancinBear
Junior Boarder

#233463 1 year, 8 months ago
This is Terrapin Crossroads FAQ

6. Are cameras allowed in the venue?

We realize that most people these days have a camera on their phone. We cannot prohibit you from carrying your phones; however, we do hope that you respect the integrity of the music and keep the flashes and recording devices out of sight. And if you do need to use your cell phone, step outside.
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#233469 1 year, 8 months ago
My question is, do I need tickets to a special section to begin taping? Also, any advice on how to easily get the music out to people, live.

Thanks.
Twenty-seven years of nothing but failures and promises that I couldn't keep
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by NobleGlassArt.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#233470 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
spring mountain high wrote:

You got it. They have a section. It didn't take long for the GD to realize if you don't assign them an area, everyone in the building is going to be staring through a sea of microphone stands. It IS distracting. It IS inconsiderate. It IS a nuisance. So they gave them their own playground to at least minimize their immediate impact on everyone else AND the show.

And I disagree. When you are in public, you have a social responsibility to act certain ways. We can wait for laws and regulations to be set in stone, which is what seems to be necessary today, or we can acknowledge [on our own] that we have a responsibility to each other, and with the situation, the responsibilities morph. We can police ourselves. The phone is a multifaceted tool, and with tools, even more responsibility is involved. The people standing with the phone in the air or rambling on it are imposing their will on me and everyone around them. I'm not imposing anything on them to point out their responsibility is to shut the fuck up and to put the phone away.

It's not quite that simple. Hey I'm not disagreeing at all about social responsibility. But there are a lot of ways for someone to impose their will on me. Ways that perhaps offend me more than it would you or vice versa. I agree that some people are obnoxious with their phones, but general phone dabbling doesn't bug me as much as other "offenses". I appreciate that it bugs you and dancinbear, etc but I guess we all have to display some degree of tolerance as well.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#233475 1 year, 8 months ago
DancinBear wrote:
This is Terrapin Crossroads FAQ

6. Are cameras allowed in the venue?

We realize that most people these days have a camera on their phone. We cannot prohibit you from carrying your phones; however, we do hope that you respect the integrity of the music and keep the flashes and recording devices out of sight. And if you do need to use your cell phone, step outside.

Thanks to Terrapin Crossroads for a Lesson in Cell Phone Behavior (and Do Stealth Recordings)

When people had to go to the phone booth to talk on the phone, the privacy and sanctity of the space around others was not being violated. As you would do in a courthouse or a church, when the concert is on, turn off your cell phone. Cell phone users often seem to lack proper manners and exhibit poor social behavior. I would prefer not to hear their conversations. The lights from their screens are unnecessary distractions to others. A chatting whenever and where-ever attitude does not really build community. I actually think there should be a special cell phone section, like they have for smokers. Have there been any studies on second hand microwave energy damage to innocent bystanders?
Thank You Jerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, kevin
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#233479 1 year, 8 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
I appreciate that it bugs you and dancinbear, etc but I guess we all have to display some degree of tolerance as well.
Beer runs and subsequent piss runs. Taco chip runs. The antsy "I gotta get out of here and walk around." Smoke breaks. People sneaking into other/new seats. Without the phones, and all the bullshit they invite, I'm moving out of the way and tolerating someone for some reason or another every 60 seconds.

It was pointed out that we are at a rock concert. Again, exactly. Folks are spending $100+ (ticket, gas, parking, vacation time, etc) and hours of their day to watch and listen to music. They're not there to deal with the inconsiderate and rude with gnat-like attention spans who want to gain popularity and provide half-thought charity to the outside world at the expense of others. I don't find any of this a matter of tolerance or intolerance. Sorry, I truly do not.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

#233480 1 year, 8 months ago
Starting in the early 80's there was always a taper section and in my era (90's) you needed a taper ticket at least some of the time. I have a taper ticket for the 94 LA shows and I believe shows like shoreline that you had to have a taper ticket to get behind or in front of the soundboard in the seated section. Those 4 LA shows were super cool to tape but it was hard to be silent, definetly no singing or clapping in the taper section. Branford played the friday show which was his last and it was pretty sweet but I highly recommend the monday show. One of the best in 94, sweet nobodys fault but mine

archive.org/details/gd94-12-19.sbd.vernon.20712.sbeok.shnf

www.setlists.net/?search=true&venue=...0A&submit=Search

07/17/66- Fillmore Auditorium - San Francisco, CA
10/26/72- Music Hall - Cincinnati, OH
09/24/73- Pittsburgh Civic Arena - Pittsburgh, PA
11/21/73- Denver Coliseum - Denver, CO
12/08/73- Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke University) - Durham, NC
12/19/73- Curtis Hixon Convention Hall - Tampa, FL
02/22/74- Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA
05/12/74- University Of Nevada - Reno, NV
05/17/74- P.N.E. Coliseum - Vancouver, XCanada
06/16/74- State Fairgrounds - Des Moines, IA
07/29/74- Capital Centre - Landover, MD
10/12/77- Manor Downs - Austin, TX
01/05/79- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
05/04/81- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
09/03/85- Starlight Theater - Kansas City, MO
09/22/91- Boston Garden - Boston, MA
12/12/93- San Diego Sports Arena - San Diego, CA
12/19/94- Los Angeles Sports Arena - Los Angeles, Ca

Pretty cool has to be one of the least played songs that spans 95%+ of their time together. Seven times in final 20 years. Also possibly the best days between, no missed lyrics.

I guess I should find those tapes and see if they are worth posting in case someone needs to patch their copy.

At JGB shows taping was not allowed but people did tape but usually with two mini mics on either side of their hats. I had a buddy who would stand perfectly still as everyone was going crazy. Some shows at the warfield people would setup in the front row of the balcony but they had to be discreet. This is why it is much harder to find good sounding JGB shows the the dead.

Back in the day there would be 50+ tapers at a show. i was recruited to help tape because I was very good at predicting song length and where the exact song breaks were so you could flip the tape as quick as you could
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by gr8ful bruin.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds